anntastic

leaning on the side of wonder

The Invention of Hugo Cabret - Brian Selznick What a unique, beautifully illustrated, imaginative, page-turning book. I've thoroughly enjoyed reading it with my son this past week, especially after we met Brian at a book-signing. While the book initially sucked me in & had me racing to find out the mystery of Hugo's automaton, I found the last half to be slightly lacking. Plot points & events that had dramatic build-up were wrapped up incredibly quickly. It was at this point that I realized that while I enjoyed the book a great deal, it's perfectly suited for my almost-7-year old. I think I expected more because of the general Hugo/Selznick/Caldecott hype. It certainly delivers in terms of the illustrations, the imaginative story-telling, and the unusual format. But I think The Washington Post summed up my thoughts perfectly in their review: "The problem is that Selznick...is really not much of a writer....[M]ost of the time, the prose has a one-foot-in-front-of the-other quality that's about as interesting as watching a clock hand move..." Well said.