anntastic

leaning on the side of wonder

Attachments - Rainbow Rowell That was one if the loveliest things I've read in a long time. Everyone's raving over Eleanor & Park, but I actually think I like this one better.

I really loved her entire cast of characters - Lincoln's mom Maureen, Jennifer, Doris, Christine, even Justin & Dena - and most especially Lincoln & Beth. Oh Lincoln & Beth! All the swoons. All of them. Which is impressive given the unique structure of the novel & the fact you grow to love them so hard as individuals despite the fact that they're not even together until the book is nearly over. At first I wanted at least a few more chapters to see where their stories would go & hear their fantastic banter together - but the more I think about it, Ms Rowell ended it perfectly. She built the characters & the story arc so beautifully that the ending is just enough. It's exactly the right (swoony perfect lovely) amount. And that's no small feat. Her phrasing is just so fresh to me - I love her words & can't wait for Fangirl. (Also, I want to know where Maureen's recipes came from. I'd love to taste her cooking.)

"...there are moments when your entire consciousness is filled with knowing absolutely that something wonderful is happening. Lincoln felt like he'd dunked his head into a sink full of Pop Rocks and turned on the water."

"She was throwing stars at him. It was hard to listen. It was hard to look at her. He ft like he was stealing something."