anntastic

leaning on the side of wonder

Unteachable

Unteachable - Leah Raeder

I feel like the New Adult catagory is really... lacking for lack of a better word. Most things I've read have been incredibly disappointing - nearly all of them full of TRY but really only end up being YA with college-aged characters & and a slightly more graphic sex scene. Unteachable was none of that. For me, this was the first time I've read a New Adult book that actually went there, not only in terms of tackling a taboo topic, but in fully fleshing out the characters. Leah's writing is strong & her characterization of Maise in particular is unyielding. And she can certainly write the smut - even though there is a heck of a lot more to the story.

The middle felt flat & tense & uncomfortable. Which I imagine must be the case when you're in a relationship with your much-older teacher and the reality of your situation is setting in & you don't know which way to go & you know that ANY way you go will only bring heartache & consequences & maybe some happiness (but not without more consequences). And in that regard, the book really got to the heart of the situation as both Maise & Evan find themselves fully immersed in this relationship, after the newness has worn off and they begin to question each other, themselves, and the consequences of their actions. About 2/3 of the way through I began to run various ending scenarious through my head because I had NO idea how Raeder could wrap the story up on a good note. But she surprised me & really managed to bring a satisfying ending (and that's not a spoiler in any way) to these characters you mostly love (but also hate a little).